Monday, June 22, 2015

The Touchdown

June 7, 2015. After an hour of flight, the Malindo plane bound for Penang touched down safely around 6 p.m. at the Penang International Airport.

It was my second time flying across the hilly and lush jungle of the Perak-Kelantan border. My first was only three days before. From atop, I could see the terrain of the highway connecting both states, famously known as the "jungle highway".

A normal journey by land would take about seven hours. That was why flight offers so much convenience nowadays. It cuts travel time by more than one-half.

Syuha and Diyana were waiting for us. They were in jovial mood, particularly Syuha. She even accepted my joked request to carry my newly bought sleeping bag. I never intended for her to carry that heavily-wrapped sleeping bag on her own. But she did nonetheless.

How was your honeymoon?

She asked, in jest.

And I just laughed.

This was no honeymoon. It was more a journey of a lifetime.

After that short visit to UMT barely weeks before, I never thought I would find myself in a very happy mood again. I was like a reborn phoenix that rises from the ashes with renewed vigour.

These two events will leave a lasting mark on my memory.